Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Shooting for January

That's when I hope to be able to get back to this place, this blog, the connection with my blog friends. I'm anxious that I'm missing everyone's.. stuff. Important things.

For the past three months, I have been reviewing plays. Lots of plays. Sometimes three in as many nights. I saw a play each night, this Thursday-Sunday. Four plays. Friday was a friend's, not an assignment, but I was up until 1am this morning finishing two reviews, and I just spent three hours on the latest. THREE HOURS. It can take me that long, because it;s hard of rme, and the results aren't worth the effort I put in.  I've discovered a few things:

1. There's a lot of really good theater out there.
2. I enjoy seeing random shows I might not always have chosen.
3. I'm not a particularly good review writer.

I'm in a rut. I lack the perspective and vocabulary to write about shows without sounding the same when I like a show and the same when I don't. I'm sick of the same verbs. I'm sick of poring through the online Thesaurus, finding new words, and then over-using them to death.

I miss writing for fun. I miss painting. I miss doing something else.

I told my editor/friend that after December I need to cut back. After December the theater schedule should cool down, so I  won't feel bad about taking on much less. But this girls needs a change of scenery.


2 comments:

karen said...

phew. the year I met Alec I also watched as many Fringe shows as I could get myself to. I loved every moment, even the stinkers, but something about it wiped me out. I mean, drained me and hung me out to dry. I get emotionally empty just thinking about it. I can only imagine how I would feel if I had to write about them all.

Brilliant that you took it on, though. Sort of a kick in the pants kind of thing ...

JC said...

Yes, I love seeing plays, but it is exhausting, and it is a treat when i can just go and experience one without having to worry about how I'll write about it. Hey, it's an experience, right? I've seen some really great stuff, so I cant' complain. I've been lucky.