Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Naked Lady

Life has been good. You know those periods when you step up to the plate and actually get done the things you set your mind to? My life's been like that for the past couple of weeks. I think a lot of it has to do with no longer being preoccupied with the approval of a friend who doesn't have the life experience or context to appreciate me. I like myself a lot more, mostly because I'm not trying to modify myself to accommodate someone else.

I've been back on the running, am getting in better shape, and have been making more trips to the studio. I feel a lightness and ease that I haven't for a long time. Also, the co-worker with whom I've signed up for a couple half-marathons is checking with her connections at an organization much closer to where I live. If I could get a job there, my work commute would be easily cut in half. How happy would I be to avoid downtown every day?

Today I went to a sketch gathering at the studio and spent some time getting used to sketching the human form again. Our model was great - imagine Patti Smith with boobs, and you've got it. She was great, and good to draw. I found out later that she had had a project called "The Naked Lady," where she walked around naked and noted the responses.

"When you aren't packaged as a sex symbol," she said, "when you have no agenda other than being naked, it just freaks men out. They don't know what to do."

Life is full of interesting people. I love meeting people who are curious, in both senses of the word.

3 comments:

SP said...

How come all the interesting stories are on here and when I call you, all I get is coding woes?

JC said...

You love my coding woes. Admit it. Hey! I have a meeting tomorrow to talk about location coding!!! I'll take notes to give you the update.

SP said...

Still waiting...