Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Monkey Corollary

If a hundred monkeys at a hundred typewriters over a hundred years could come up with Hamlet, then an end-user launching three help utilities on an Airport, a Mac, and a new DSL modem will finally connect to the Internet.

I know it's a simple concept, but I have been re-setting, re-configuring, and re-starting for over a week now. And suddenly, there it was: a web page instead of a PAGE NOT FOUND error message. I was so startled I actually made a noise.

How did I do it? Darned if I know. All I know is that I no longer have to sit on the floor of my bedroom, which is where my one telephone jack is, to use the Internet.

Next project: run new phone wire. Oh, yes. And the Dish cable that comes with my monthly condo fee.

And if I'm feeling really wild, I'll buy some sconces so I have light in my living room.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to explain the monkey reference, because not everyone has heard of that.

JC said...

Not eveyone has heard of Bondi Beach, either, but you seem to have become an expert.