Sunday, August 12, 2012

Of WASPS and Lamb. Sort of.

Auditioned tonight for A.R. Gurney's The Dining Room at a theater company for which I've auditioned twice before. What I like is that when I show up the people in charge tend to be of A Certain Age, so I don't feel so frustrated by the generation gap.

A nice surprise was that a woman I'd worked with before in another show was also auditioning, so we had fun catching up. After our separate auditions, we chatted outside. The bonus to this audition is that as you came back to the green room for your audition the coordinator handed you a free ticket to the show "in the quirky event we don't cast you." Since the side we were asked to do wasn't the one that we'd both really liked, we decided that if we weren't cast we'd attend in dresses and pearls (Gurney characters are all die-hard WASPS --- I think even the maids are all white, so kudos to the adorable African-American girl who showed up) and chant "but it's a beautiful lamb, Standish!"

You kind of had to be there.


1 comment:

karen said...

Whoamygawd I can't believe that I WAS there but I didn't catch that this was here till now. Ha am I out of it, or what.

I think colourblind casting would be great in a show like this. Please send pictures of you and the other woman in heels and pearls.

Can't wait to hear what actually happens ...