Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Nice things are simple.

Felt the need for a walk yesterday evening-- decided to head north on Sheridan to where it curves around to the lakeshore in Evanston, and walk that way. On the way out, checked my mail and found a birthday note form my great-aunt with $20 inside. I walked my walk, loving the beautiful blues and pinks and yellows of the evening sky above the lake, the loose clouds, the warm summer air.

In Evanston I used my birthday money to buy an ice-cream cone, then walked back. Migrating Canada geese were lined along the shoreline, resting in silhouette against silver water. I watched them, and thought about how I was right here, so close to all this beauty, how it was peaceful and free. How much our lifestyles keep us from remembering that this is what is real. I envied the geese. They didnt' have to go to work in the morning.

I need to figure out how to not go to work in the morning.

No comments: