Monday, April 27, 2009

My new superhero name: Dementia.

So because I'm peri-menopausal, I've become extremely absentminded. So it was that this morning I went through the usual routine of animal feeding, and only after giving George his Pepsid realized I'd given him instead a medicine I had on hand for Amie. I jumped on the net to see whether it was a problem.

After seeing things like "liver toxicity:" and "renal failure," I called the vet.

"I accidentally gave my cat 3 cc's of Metacam," I said.

The receptionist put me on hold. A half-minute later she came back on and said,"Can you come here? Like, now?"

So I shoved poor George into the carrier and headed for the vet. Because I'm also PMS-ing, I was getting teary and whispering, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," all the way. George looked unhappy, but then again he is not a fan of the car. It was hard to tell whether he was depressed or heading into The Light. Whichever it was, he was calm.

A thought occurred to me.

I got to the vet, and said, "you know, I realized I misspoke. It was not 3 cc's; it was POINT 3 cc's."

I was put into the exam room and Dr Davis, my vet, came in.

"Well, I'm glad to hear that you made that dosage mistake, because I was already setting up the payment plan for the supportive care and hospitalization that he would have needed."

"Do we even really need to be here?" I asked.

"Well, no. BUT, he's 18, he's hyperthyroid, so his kidneys are already vulnerable, so it's not bad that he came in."

George got a once-over. He was pissed because I'd forgotten to change the carrier bedding from Amie's last visit, so he'd been sitting on rabbit poop.

Bottom line: I give George subcutaneous fluids each day for five days, plus a pill crushed and mixed with water for his gut.

The bill was about a hundred dollars, which is pretty cheap for a vet visit for us, but still, not great timing. And he goes in for bloodwork on Friday to make sure he's OK.

*sigh.*

7 comments:

SP said...

See what happened there?

peacefulmayhem said...

I'm so glad George is ok. That sounds like quite a scare. Scratches for him & a hug for you.

xo,
Jess

JC said...

Thanks. :-) We start off our mornings now with a little bonding under a bag of Ringer's.

And the rabbit meds are now kept in the bathroom. In the towel cabinet.

SP said...

That's where you should keep the rabbits as well.

JC said...

Actually, I've decided to give them a new home. You should be on the lookout for a package at work.

MM said...

Hmmm, if SP doesn't want the "package" send it to my dogs, they would love to have your Bunnies over for "DINNER" LOL!!!
Or, is that NOT a PC thing to say to a vegetarian? LOL!!!

JC said...

My bunnies would make BOTH your dogs their beeyatches, including the actual beeyatch!