Saturday, February 28, 2009

Can I say "I Told You So"?

Met some former coworkers last night (someone arranged a get-together; I went out of good sportsmanship but really, I've already moved on, I don't really care what the gossip is, or what people are doing. It's bit scary to see how much of their personal lives people's jobs make up.)

It's boring.

The one amusing thing I heard is that people are already freaking out about how to do my job, and one of the accountants has been calling around to see whether anyone knows how I did what I did. Someone mentioned that it was good that I'd left people my home number.


"Oh, no," I said. "That was for personal use only. No calls about work. I don't work there any more. They were all fine letting me be the only person who knew what was going on, and dumping all their crap on me. If they call, I will simply read them the Disclosure Under Title 29 U.S. Code Section 626(f)(1)(H) that was provided to me with my severance letter: 'Employees who possessed the performance record, skills, abilities, background, experience, conduct, leadership, education and/or knowledge necessary to fill the remaining positions after the Company's elimination of forty-seven positions due to economics were not selected for termination.' Since I was laid off, according to this definition, those left are capable of doing my job. So let them. If the company had given me 30 days to transition, I would have, because I don't like to see anyone struggle. But they didn't, and I'm just as happy to not have to deal any more. If their underestimation of what I did bought me my freedom, well hallelujiah."

My ex-boss had phoned me before I left and said something nice: "On my resume I put that I got the draw process running efficiently and smoothly. I sort of did; I hired you."

I'd laughed and told him he could take whatever credit he wanted as long as we weren't up for the same job.

No comments: