Sunday, November 9, 2008

Celebrity Row

Saw Celebrity Row at the American Theater Company yesterday. My season subscription compels me to see plays without deciding whether I want to, and as a result I've seen things that I normally wouldn't find compelling by a simple reading of the play's description.

This has been good for me, because I have been seeing some really, really good theater. ATC shows are edgy and creative, and the set designs alone are worth seeing. Never has minimalism been so gorgeous or powerful.

Celebrity Row is one of those kinds of plays I love: lots of dialogue on competing ideologies; creative, complex expressions of inner motivations. And humor. And oh, the most marvelous acting. The theater is very small, so every seat is good.

I may have to subscribe to other places, too. It's going to be a long winter.

No comments: