Sunday, December 16, 2007

A New Day

Woke up this morning to a bright sunny day and a blue sky. Snow sparkled off the trees. I fed the critters, took a shower, and headed to Lincoln Square. Had a bagel and cream cheese and decaf mocha at the coffee shop and then headed to the Davis to see "No Country for Old Men," the latest Coen Brothers movie. It was fantastic. Javier Bardem is spellbinding.

After staying through the credits to make sure that American Humane had monitored the movie (there are a lot of animals -- and it had), I headed out and walked and walked, hitting all the spots I'd planned to pick up the last of my Christmas presents. Down Lincoln to Addison, Red Line back, to Andersonville, up Clark, spending money along the way. I stopped at The Landmark, which I love; the women there are clearly having the time of their lives, and they always have time to talk.

Back home I called my SP and chatted a bit, then wrapped presents and finished a scarf while watching Prime Suspect.

And now it's time to call it a day.

Seems the best cure for Cynical Despair is a nice long walk and a movie featuring a psychopathic killer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The phrase cynical despair reminds me of "the pit of despair" from The Princess Bride. :)

I tried to virtually wander around Lincoln Square on Google Maps Street View to get a feel for the neighborhood but they don't have the littler streets available yet. And I don't know where exactly to look. What are two good cross streets?

kb

JC said...

You can try Leland, Montrose, Wilson; all of these intersect with Lincoln by the square proper. Which, like "squares" in Somerville, isn't really square.

It's a nice place. My shopping area, Andersonville, is gayish and Swedish; Lincoln Square is more German. Both areas have lots of independent shops and boutiques; Lincoln Square is a little less upscale; maybe that's why it feels comfortable to me.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya!